Wednesday, April 28, 2010

The Mystery continues... WW

 Happy Wednesday everyone!


Since I had no correct guesses last week, I thought I would extend this perennial bush and add more clues! It must of been a rather puzzling one (unless you are my BFF who knew immediately, but lucky for for my readers she hasn't figured out how to post here yet... (hugs, Terry))!


So lets show you the mystery plant now that it has grown bigger....



(Hint, you should be able to click on any photo to view a larger image, if you would like to copy please ask, and I use Creative Commons, as share with kind)

Here a different view... I have heard that this plant does not like to be moved, and this one has told us this fact after hubby decided to transplant it to it's current location over 10 years ago. It still only has a trio of stems.



Believe it or not, this almost dead looking clump of sticks will soon explode with color... this is the tree version of this mysterious perennial.




here is a close up of the first sign of life...




Look at the tender leaves starting to emerge...




 Just three warm weeks after the first peek of spring,
 it has set flower buds!





The main reason I am extending this baffling beauty is by next week it may just be blooming! 
Here is the biggest clue (I hope), a flower bud showing a glimpse of the color to be...
it does come in a few lovely colors, the most common is pink.




Did these clues help get your brains working??? 
   Then don't forget to leave me your guess!


I had to include a fond farewell to the forsythia I shared last week, theses were a few of the last shining stars, you can see the leaves filling out, that will soon be all that is left for the summer. 


MellowYellowBadge





I have 3 forsythia in this retaining wall bed. They grow with gusto and need a big pruning, especially the one closet to the house. They do add some cool shade for a few of the flowers in this bed, but most have had no trouble with the full sun and heat that can bake them in summer weather. If they were right behind the house, I would let them grow as tall and thick as they want, for then the shade would be desirable and growth would not be a problem. We have not had any troubles with transplanting or propagating these prolific spring stars. Hubby has transplanted them twice, with the last time mercilessly cutting one into two! We also had success with sticking a newly cut stem directly into dirt along with a few friends and it growing into a nice shrub. Just another frugal easy to share plant.


Mr. Linky is below for readers that are participating. You can also find more WW fun at MomDot, SevenClownCircus and the WW home page. I would very much appreciate a comment if you are linking up, you can do that directly below. I will return to visit all participants who leave me comments. Even if you are not playing I want to hear your guesses and any handy tips you would like to share, or questions I "may" be able to answer.


Thanks so much for stopping by and also for playing along in guessing the mystery plant!
  with dirty hands I bid you a farewell, until I tap again ....



Faythe

 




32 comments:

  1. awww how beautiful thank you for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, still have no idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice series, I would like to see it in full bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice series, I would like to see it in full bloom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. great series of pictures. Happy Spring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Faythe,
    You do have me baffled. Will have to google perennial flowers to help find this one. Wish me luck! They are definitely going to be a really pretty shade of deep pink. At least that is what I would call their color. Can't wait to find out the mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  7. oH MY! I know nothing of plants/flowers....but happy WW!

    ReplyDelete
  8. When you look at them closely, a lot of plants are rather creepy, especially in their early stages.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not even a guess. One of the pictures looked like asparagus, but I know I'd sound stupid if I guessed that! (wait, did I?)
    A plant worthy of several weeks, with all its changes.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This one is still unknown to me. The bloom is camellia-like, but camellias grow on bushes. Is it a peony?

    ReplyDelete
  11. are they peonies?

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have no idea but it looks interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  13. No idea, but they look like plants from another world. In the first one, they look like the hair connectors in Avatar.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great day for pictures! Happy Wordless Wednesday!

    I hope mine makes you giggle! If you love it, please leave a comment and link up (or not) and I hope your day is as great as I hope mine will be! :)

    http://tinyurl.com/zombie-bunny

    ReplyDelete
  15. OH! I know it now! A Peony :) I should have known because we have many of them and they're one of my favorite flowers! The smell is simply amazing! We got free bushes from a lady on freecycle and they are doing wonderfully. Peonies like to be divided when they get to crowded! Happy WW!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'd really like to get some forsythia for our wall in the back.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I have NO clue what that is?! Maybe I should start gardening :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'll guess a peony? But, that's mostly from the flower since my peony leaves look different. Whatever the case, I always enjoy your mysteries!

    ReplyDelete
  19. My peonies have not flowered yet. I hope they will this year. I transplanted them and they have not flowered. They really do not like to be dug up.
    My Wordless Wednesday post link

    ReplyDelete
  20. Who would have guessed that those stalks turn into something so stunning!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Perhaps a peony? Hard for me to say... Alaska is a little shy on flora this time of year, so I'm kind rusty.

    Thanks for dropping by and visiting!

    ReplyDelete
  22. The bud reminds me of a Begonia perhaps. I love how you bring the world of plants to life!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very pretty!! But I have no clue.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have absolutely no clue, but whatever it is, it's gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your mystery plant is a peony and a tree peony. Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment on my post. Hope you have a wonderful day and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Beautiful series, and I am guessing they are peonies!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I don't have a clue. But they all look very beautiful...:)
    Have an awesome day!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Yay.. I love your mystery garden posts..such fun!! It is like being on a weekly adventure..fabulous work!Such lovelies in your garden!
    Kiki~

    ReplyDelete
  29. Thanks for stopping by and guessing.My Wordless Wednesday answer is up at Living Healthy with Auntie E
    Still waiting on my Peony, the plant leaves are up. I just might have to plant new ones for next year.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Is it a peony?! And I didn't look at any of the other answers either! :-) Because the first three to the left of this comment box did not have a response.

    ReplyDelete
  31. My guess would have been the peony! In fact, I'm planting some peony bulbs today so I can't wait until they get big like yours! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping and reading today.
Comments are always welcome :)