Tuesday, May 04, 2010

One Mystery solved, another starts...

Wow, last Wednesday was buzzing with winning guesses!
I am so happy (doing a little dance) that I gave it another week and a few more clues. It makes it so much more fun when you get correct conjectures!

In a bit I will list them, with their names also a link to their sites (the names of their sites are click-able links) so you can visit and see all the great things they have to share! Besides being Wordless or Wordful Wednesday participants they all offer many things to explore! Some even have contests with prizes and of course lots of good stories to read and information to discover.

But first one last clue from last weeks perplexity...


I did divulge more last week with a lone bud showing color,  but this is the "Tree" variety with several buds in color and starting to open!


Doesn't the color look inviting? It really doesn't show the true color it bedazzles, as it turns more magenta. While the pinkish bud from last week turns a lot more red!


the answer...

Yup! They are Peonies!  The small one was the transplant that hubby moved and it still will only grace us with three blossoms each year, one on each stalk. I was wrong that they or at least the tree peony would be open or showing more color this week, they are still tight. So I went searching in hubby's photos to find some to share.                                 
                                          



This is the Red transplant, that we are hoping will grace us with more than three! Last year was a harder winter and it only had two blossoms. This one blooms later than the tree, so you can see some late blooming Iris stretching to be in the photo as well.










Here is a close up and following another as it is almost blown.

    Doesn't it almost appear to be made of paper?


Now the Tree Peony had the same hard winter too, and had only a few blooms,
but I found a few photos showing it with more.


The first is from afar with some wild strawberries blooming on the ground surrounding it, waiting to feed the wildlife later.


Now from another angle showing lots more to come!


This year appears to be a bumper year, as I see many buds that will display! 


Now for the accurate guesstimates in order of post...

Susan from Grandparents Guide
Katie from Katie Talks About
Henrietta from  A Hens Nest
Kate from High Altitude Gardening
Aunti E from Auntie E's Yard and Garden
Titanium from Titanium Vertical
Jen from A Garden of Threads
Icy BC from Dances of Dreams
Theresa of Faith and Family Reviews
and last but certainly not least
Jacqueline of AK Blessings Abound


Thank you so much for playing! I wish I had a gold star to give you all!
I hope you return and enjoy each visit!
With all of that, I could not leave you without another puzzler. I do not think it will be to hard, as I have seen lots of these open and blooming already (indeed mine is and almost done!)









These were from my aunt's garden,      so I consider them an heirloom.  Now no peeking at anyone else's guess, play fair



 I await your wonderful guesses and comments! 
If you are playing along with WW, please leave your link in Mr. Linky's box for others to find, and do not forget to comment/guess too!



With dirty hands until next time,





38 comments:

  1. Man! I didn't stop by last week and I actually knew that was a peonie! But you have me stumped again this week. I can't even make an educated guess... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! I won! :)) Your tree peony is absolutely stunning! As for this week's mystery... I guess I just have peonies on the brain because this, too, looks like shrub peony growth to me. Happy WW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. is it a crocus?
    I used to work in a greenhouse, I should know these things (well, I did know peonies!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What beautiful flowers! I've got several flowers on my WW post too. Maybe you could help me identify the white flower in my post. I'm terrible when it comes to identifying flowers and have no clue! lol
    Come on over when you get a chance. My WW post and linky are both up and waiting for you! See you soon. Have a great evening.

    Kristi, Live and Love...Out Loud
    @TweetingMama

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't think I really knew what a peony lloked like before. Thanks to you it should become unforgettable. the colour is so vibrant. I'll have to look out for these when I visit a nursery. We don't get hard winters so don't know whether it's a plant we have around here, but it does look familiar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. For some reason, I want to say rose moss, which is what my mom calls Rose Rappaport Moss (Portulaca Grandiflora). But the stems seem a little too tall. I had some in my front flower bed last year, and it doesn't appear to be coming back this year. Bummer.
    My WW post: http://ladyvdzine.com/2010/05/04/wordless-wednesday-what-do-whoopi-goldberg-mona-lisa-and-i-have-in-common/
    Virginia

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your peonies are gorgeous. I'm terrible at guessing the names of flowers!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never seen a peony in someone's garden before so I had no idea. I also have no idea this week! How terrible is that?

    ReplyDelete
  9. You're picking on me. I don't know my plants. Can we guess the names of superheroes next week?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful peonies. I love the color.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Looks a lot like my peony's.IT's fun to watch them bloom every year.

    http://harrietandfriends.com/2010/05/whats-cuter-than-a-baby-panda/

    ReplyDelete
  12. No ideas but again such beautiful flowers growing in your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nothing seems to be growing here that I planted. All my beautiful flowers are from a far previous owner.

    ReplyDelete
  14. the tree peony is so pretty. your right it could be like its made from paper. love it.

    My entry is at my Game FreakZ blog. Hope you can stop by :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Such gorgeous flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  16. The flowers really do look like they're made of paper, so delicate!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gorgeous flowers! Happy WW!

    ReplyDelete
  18. i love peonies! love the color of yours

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow..such gorgeous shots of all those decadent reds..woah!! Lovely!! Beautiful!! Have happy day..and i always enjoy your super creative and mystery style posts! yay!!
    Kiki~

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love flowers. Springtime is so great!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Those are beautiful! I'd never have guessed them at all or the new ones - I suck with plants lmao!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks like you've been very busy!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Lovely peonies! Happy WW.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Faythe, thanks for stopping by my WW post and guessing. You got it right!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Love it! I'm trying to find a flowering plant for a pot on our front porch. It has to take direct sunlight and be ok with not getting water every day...

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have tried to grow peonies...and tried.
    It has not worked out well...lol
    yours are lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  28. those are so lovely! Thanks for stopping by Faythe.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I can't even form a guess right now... Of course, I haven't had a sip of coffee all day so my brain isn't working...
    Yep I looked again and can't figure it out.. I'm sure it is something simple and I will feel silly...

    ReplyDelete
  30. it does totally look like it is made out of paper. Amazing flowers! Hope you have a great rest of the week!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi there! Thanks for stopping by my site, Mother of Pearl It Is. You have an adorable blog, which I am now following with both of mine! :)

    Tree (aka Mother of Pearl)
    Mother of Pearl It Is
    Mommies Faves Top Sites and Blogs
    Mommies Faves Mom Bloggers Network

    ReplyDelete
  32. Those are beautiful, and I wish I did know flowers, but alas I do not. I think it's because I'm so allergic to bees that I stay away from flowers, and don't have a one on my property. I do have bushes, and an evergreen tree. Does that count? ~hehe~ Thanks for stopping at my blog. I hope you enjoyed yourself. I'm now following you. Thanks for sharing your garden. Nice to meet you!

    ReplyDelete
  33. Mine is white, as you already know. I usually end out cutting the blooms and put them in a ginger jar, to display indoors.

    One of my very favorite flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Compared to mine, your peonies are profuse. This is year four or five, and I'm still only getting one bud. Thank you for visiting my blog today. It was fun meeting you!
    Chris at Enchanted Oak

    ReplyDelete
  35. The peonies are beautiful, I can't wait to find out what the others are! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  36. I'd have to say you stumped me this time! Can't wait to hear what it is! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping and reading today.
Comments are always welcome :)