Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Thundering and Lightning, very, very frightening!



Yikes! It is still raining on my head almost everyday 
of the week here in the dairy state. Last night was horrid and a bit scary too, lots of rumbling over head and bright flashes of lightning and then... KaBoom!
I was working on the powering down stuff
to turn off my computer and Phhtt... black... blacker than night! Weird, but I do not think we even had a moon, if there was one too many clouds to see it... No power at all! from about 10 p.m. until about 6 p.m. tonight! 
Hot, humid and wicked. Hubby's birthday ended with a big light show to no light at all. Surprisingly we did not find any big branches in the yard? 
But I swear, I am turning into a fish with all this moisture and the gills I have grown are even turning moldy! I do not remember such a wet and loud month of June!

We had some great guesses last week on our mystery photo. I wish it was of a magnolia, I would love one in my yard! It is not lilacs either, my 2 big bushes do not have a very pretty flower, and do not like to be cut and brought into the house to enjoy the scent either. I did not plant them, so I do not know the variety, but if I did I would not recommend it.
Here is a clue from last week, the buds are more open and showing a pretty blush of color.




Here you can see some of the hard covering the bud still had in last weeks clue.



I still have yet to perfect working the macro tool on my point and shoot, and find a cure for my ever present shaky hands, but the back buds are pretty clear to make them coming out of that covering.
The answer, which was correctly answered by Wednesday Wizard Linda from The Crafty Gardener in Canada is Rhododendron! This variety is called "White Lights". Only one branch really grew but it did surprise me with more flowers then previous years. I was practicing (cough) my techniques and this shot was at dusk, it give it a different hue and contrast.


A bit shaky and it was also windy, so I will blame the blurriness on that (wink).
Here it is all open and in-between the many rain showers so it also has splatters of dirt and grit on its pretty pale pink flowers. Why it is called white lights?? I do not know. I was amazed of how full this branch was, I have never had more then 2 flowers on it since it's terrible truck accident! So I am much more encouraged that it may just grow into a handsome shrub after all!


A good thing I was able to snap it's pretty photo that day as the continuing pounding showers ripped the flowers to shreds!

I am going to leave you with this weeks quiz in a close up (the best I could crop it anyway ) and I hope many more of you can figure out this one! And my friend and Master Gardener...(wink) Linda, if you correctly guess this one I would also like the full genus name from you ( Oh, I am being a naughty game host aren't I??)






Since I feel lucky to even log in to post this week, I thought the pretty color of this weeks tip-off would cheer up anyone who is seeing through grimy moldy eyeballs like me. Mr. Linky is below for those that play along.


I wish everyone a beautiful week ( I still have more storms and rain in the forecast, sigh...) So leave me some great hypothesizes and link up your photos ( hopefully sunny) to help me chase the gloom away!





Until next Wednesday 
I leave with muddy 
hands (still!)...














44 comments:

  1. Those flowers sure are pretty! :) Happy WW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are such beautiful flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah yes, the rhododendron. Of course. Great pics. Drop by my linky party at http://weloveiowa.blogspot.com/2010/06/not-so-wordless-wednesday-boys-will-be.html.

    P.S. We've had tons of rain too if it makes ya feel any better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. those are gorgeous colors!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a beautiful pictures. I love the color! Just breathtaking.

    Coming over from A Lot Of Loves

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Marvolous! Thanks for the linky!

    Lillian-Juda
    WW Kitten Naming Contest
    http://judaleonard.blogspot.com/2010/06/wordless-wednesday-kitten-sound-off.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. What beautiful blooms! Great photos. :) Come on over and link up over at my place when you get a chance. Have a great day.

    Kristi, Live and Love...Out Loud
    @TweetingMama

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just gorgeous! Thanks for the flower fix.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great pics.. I love the Rhododendron (whew, that's tough to spell) all opened up, very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. those are such beautiful blooms.

    ReplyDelete
  13. luv the flowers thanks again for the beauty of Nature

    ReplyDelete
  14. Beautiful flowers! I can't grow anything bleh for my totally un-green thumbs LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. No guess for me. I have to ask my wife what the different flowers are.
    Very pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I believe we're having similar weather patterns. I'm across the lake in Michigan. I hear a storm rolling in right now as a matter of fact. :(

    Your blooms are spectacular!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love pictures of flowers. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Rhododendron! That's what they're called! I have a couple and I was always fumbling to name it! lol

    ReplyDelete
  19. I didn't guess last weeks and I have no idea this week either..but it is a lovely color.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am a huge flower fan, beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Was worried about you during stormy weather. Glad to hear no major damage. Sorry to say more rain is on the way.
    Wow- Mr. Linky is popular this week! I'll be sitting on your page all day. Hope you don't mind me camping out.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Isn't that fully open Rhododendron just breathtaking? I am so bad at flowers ... some kind of pansy?

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yeah, I have no clue...impatiens?

    Happy WW!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh goodie! I know this one! It's a violet!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow, your husband had a memorable birthday--from lightning flashing and thunder crashing to no power at all.

    The power goes off here in the CA foothills 4 or 5 times a year, usually in strong storms.

    Those rhododendron blossoms are so pretty and quite hardy, too! Maybe the next round of blossoms won't get hammered.

    ReplyDelete
  26. We're expecting thunderstorms later this evening - it's been so hot and humid I'm hoping for some relief!

    The flowers are gorgeous! :)

    WW: Dinosaur Store

    ReplyDelete
  27. We had Morning Glories that color many years ago. Whatever it is, I LOVE the color!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great flowers. Kristi {at} Live and Love...Out Loud does a bunch of good flowers on occasion as well.

    I am totally jealous of people that can take good flower shots - I never quite can get the hang of shooting plants.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Beautiful pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Beautiful shots of the rhododendron. The colors are pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Great job taking some amazing flower pics!

    ReplyDelete
  32. beautiful flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  33. WEll my first thought was a pansy but the center seems all wrong, the foliage reminds me of a very prim amd proper rose which comes in a variety of colors and grows very low to the earth. I haven't see one in years however so perhaps it's just nostalgia

    ReplyDelete
  34. Lovely shots - send your rain to us. It is hot and humid but not rain in sight!

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love that dirty Rhododendron pic where they are all open - amazing pic!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Lovely blossoms! :) Thank you for linking up with Way Back When-esday!

    ReplyDelete
  37. Hope you have relief from the rain. You have some beautiful flowers, but I can't even venture a guess of what they are. Thanks for your comment about the hummingbirds nest. Hope to post more updated pictures tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Hi Faythe :D :waves:

    ReplyDelete
  39. It rained and rained a ton here in June as well. I am not sure what is up with Mother Nature this year.

    Those Rhododendrons are really nice. Next year we might have to get some.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Like always, you have the most beautiful, colorful flowers.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping and reading today.
Comments are always welcome :)