Tuesday, August 17, 2010

How do you tell which way the wind is blowing?




By looking at what direction the flying bunny's nose is pointing!

Did you correctly guess last weeks mystery photo?

By my count only two Wednesday Wizards this week, 
 unless I missed someone.
Lots of great guesses again, including barbed wire, a caterpillar nest, a log, and a wind chime (very creative!). But everyone enjoyed the doe with her 2 fawns. Thank you for the compliments and guesses!

Here is the answer to the puzzle:

This top photo is the one the clue was cropped from, and placed on its side.
As you can see, it is a Rabbit Weather Vane!

click on photos to enlarge,
please do not copy without permission

 (definition from Wikipedia)
A weather vane is an instrument for showing the direction of the wind. They are typically used as an architectural ornament on the highest point of a building.
Although partly functional, weather vanes are generally decorative, often featuring the traditional cockerel design with letters indicating the points of the compass. Other common motifs include ships, arrows and horses. Not all weather vanes have pointers.
The word 'vane' comes from the Anglo-Saxon word 'fane' meaning 'flag'.
To obtain an accurate reading, the wind vane must be located well above the ground and away from buildings, trees, and other objects which interfere with the true wind direction. Changing wind direction can be meaningful when coordinated with other apparent sky conditions, enabling the user to make simple short range forecasts. 


Taken on an early spring day. It was very dreary.
Wind was a bit still, 
but rabbit still flying high on top of his special place.

 A bit of history: The first recorded weathervane is often thought to be a bronze structure that was erected atop the Tower of the Winds in Athens in 48 B.C. by Greek astronomer Andronicus. This weathervane took the shape of the Greek god Triton, who has the body of a man and the tail of a fish, and was between four and eight feet long. The tower was octagonal, with a different wind god on each of the eight faces. With a change in wind direction, Triton indicated which deity would control the weather that day. If you were a wealthy landowner in Greece and pre-Christian Rome, weather vanes depicting the gods Boreas, Aeolus, Hermes and Mercury may of decorated your villas. (geezers, I missed out on having a big half-man half-fish dude to stand on my roof!)

click on photos to enlarge,
please do not copy without permission
Another view, the trees were just starting to bud out. 
Since it was so gray that day, 
I played with the images to make them more black and white.

One last bit of trivia: The term "weathervane" is also a slang word for a politician who has frequent changes of opinion. The National Assembly of Quebec has banned use of this slang term as a slur after its use by members of the legislature. To my Canadian friends, did you know this?





Let me announce my two  
Winning Wednesday Wizards 

  this week,
Lets give a tip of our pointy hats to ...          




and
Two wonderful ladies I am happy that play along every week.

Do you have a weather vane in your yard? 
What shape is it?

I hope I piqued your curiosity about some of the interesting things you can claim as yard art. I may test you again, so be on the lookout!
Now for this weeks perplexity...
A crop from a long distance view...



Leave your predictions in the comment section and I will be happy to visit your blog for some comment luv in return.  
Mr. Linky is here if you play along in any Wordful/Wordless/Watery, ect Wednesday  and...
I have decided to add this to Yard Art Thursdays over at Work of the Poet  after recommendation from Dogsmom and see if anyone new would care to play along. If this is against your rules Mary (at Work of a Poet) please let me know and I will remove it. 





 Until next time ...






34 comments:

  1. lovin the weathervane! Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our weathervane is a rooster. Have never seen a rabbit one before but I like it. Happy WW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. you're making me think too hard! So cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love the weather vane! Is this week's female mallard feathers?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Goose flying near the water? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Some feathered animal swimming...?

    Happy WW!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks mallard and leaf or feather in the foreground a very interesting capture. The water also looks as though it has clouds.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's beautiful in b&w. And no, I don't have one. NO idea on the other. Wheat?

    Happy WW!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I should have a weathervane but we don't. Knowning my hubby it would be a duck. But I did not know all the history behind the weather vane! Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Um huh. I honestly have no idea. I'm going to toss out hops as my wild guess.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like the weathervane pics, not sure what the other is looks like feathers about to land in water or something.

    Happy WW!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love the weather vane. Not sure what the crop shot is though. NOT a kitty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the bunny weathervane. I would have never guessed that one. Your new one to me looks like a reflection of a goose or maybe ducks feathers. Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Weather bunny, very cute!... About your cropped pic.. Hmm, it's feathery and watery... A duck floating on a pond/lake/water?

    ReplyDelete
  15. Looks like a bird of some kind.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Without even reading the other comments first I am guessing a male and female bonded pair of mallads enjoying a leisurely swim. The female is the feathered one and the male is paddling. There is water reflection adding to the scene.
    That is a great weathervane. You should add it to Work of the Poet's Thursday yard art meme.
    We have a very old weathervane but it is so heavy our barn roof will no longer hold it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love your game! I'm guessing it's a duck on water. :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your Wordless Wednesdays are always so thought out. You're amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats to the winners :)

    I'm guessing it's a hive? :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. It has to be something with feathers!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the rabbit weather vane! I'd guess the other pic is the reflection of a duck?!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have an all copper that is now GREEN eagle weathervane at my house! It still works too! I love weathervanes!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've only seen rooster vanes before. As far as your picture. I want to say part of an Eagle, and maybe water, and the leg of another animal on the bottom. Hmmmmmm

    ReplyDelete
  24. I just love that cute bunny weather vane! I don't have one but have been keeping my eye out for one to put in the yard. As for this week's picture WOow! That's a doozy! All I can think is that it looks like mallard duck feather sand water? Chicken lady her with birds on the brain lol! Happy WW!

    ReplyDelete
  25. What a cute weather vane! I would guess that it's Mallard Ducks on a pond/lake.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Unusual weather vane! I like it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. We don't have a weathervane - love the bunny. Everyone seems to think it is a duck - that was my first guess too, but it looks more like a painting than a real scene.

    ReplyDelete
  28. We've got lots of weather vane politicians here in the USA for sure! I love to see weather vanes and they do make great yard art!

    ReplyDelete
  29. The top of the photo looks like a female mallard and the bottom of the photo is the male. Both sitting in the water.
    I've scrolled back and love your guessing games. I'll be back.
    Love the weather vane for yard art and I hadn't even thought of looking for one. I will now. :)
    My granddaughters know me as Grammy.
    Thanks for dropping by my yard art and bringing me here.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thanks for visiting FT-L! I love that rabbit weather vane! And I have no guesses this week on your mystery picture.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping and reading today.
Comments are always welcome :)