| GrammyMouseTails

Tuesday, September 14, 2010

47 Take 2 and call me in the morning...

Huhhh???
It is rather strange but centuries ago last weeks clue may over been ordered by at an apothecary!


Chew two and you can call me.... well, I don't think it went exactly like that!
Those are pretty red buds though aren't they? We had lots of great guesses and lots of Wizards as well! Our crackerjack Wednesday Wizards remembered this little beauty from an earlier post of mine, their own gardens or from digging in the vast reaches of their cranium-hardrives... the answer was a Peony
I realized I never got around to showing you my tree peony once it bloomed. It was full of beautiful buds this year and I forgot to count (hits self in head) how many.




Some of the odd facts I discovered about this very popular garden flower :

The peony is named after Paeon (also spelled Paean), a student of Asclepius, the Greek god of medicine and healing. Asclepius became jealous of his pupil; Zeus saved Paeon from the wrath of Asclepius by turning him into the peony flower. I always liked mythology, but most of things I remember are from those terrible hollywood movies they made all about Hercules, Zeus and Clashing of all those Titans!!!
The peony was used for medicinal purposed for many ages. Ancient Chinese used parts, of the peony plant, primarily the roots, for treatment of fever, muscle cramps, liver ailments, atherosclerosis, hepatitis, and even PMS! While ancient cultures may have used peonies in medicine, it is listed as a poisonous plant so NO homemade remedies, okay.

Mischievous nymphs were said to hide in the petals of the Peony thus causing this magnificent flower to be given the meaning of shame or bashfulness in the Language of Flowers. But if you look in other origins the peony is often used as a wedding flower for the claims of prosperity and goodness. Maybe those little nymphs play both sides of the coin?

Peonies are a common subject in tattoos, often used along with koi-fish. The popular use of peonies in Japanese tattoo was inspired by the ukiyo-eSuikoden, artist Utagawa Kuniyoshi's illustrations of the a serialized novel from China. His paintings of warrior-heroes covered in pictorial tattoos included lions, tigers, dragons, koi fish, and peonies, among other symbols. The peony became a masculine motif, associated with a devil-may-care attitude and disregard for consequence. Who knew that pretty peony could mean so many things to all these different people!


Peonies are extremely easy (ahem... so they say) to grow in many areas from zone 3 to 8. They like full sun in all but the hottest climates. They normally can tolerate late afternoon shade to part-shade. Mine are now in a mostly shady spot, and I have noticed that the blooms seem to be getting smaller. As seen above, mine is still about dinner plate size, it could just be my eyes, they may be getting smaller from too much shade( have to get chainsaw-hubby to work on that.) Though this year I had the largest number of blooms since planting it. Another puzzler I throw back into this summers wacky weather.
Once planted the Peony likes to be left alone and punishes those who try to move it by not flowering again for several years. I can attest to this also. We had to move our bush variety peony and it did not bloom for 2 years, and has had 1 or 2 flowers since.
Peonies tend to attract ants to the flower buds. This is due to the nectar that forms on the outside of the flower buds, and is not required for the plants' own pollination or other growth. Bush varieties can be divided for more plants or if getting too large for the area. If you are adventurous and have patience you can harvest the seed pods from the tree variety. I am told the actual seed with look like a large dark corn kernel, and give them a 'season' of cold in the deep, dark part of your refrigerator ( I may try the freezer, then a week in the refrigerator), then plant in a small pot of good soil, keep in a cool to warm room for 90 days. What I have read says that it usually takes 2 'seasons' of this before you may see any germination. You can try to plant any seedling (if it does germinate by the 2nd 'season') slowly moved  to the outdoors to harden off like any other plants you may of started from seed indoors. I saved my pods this year, I will see if any seeds are inside once dry. If I ever get to a point that I have a seedling, I will post on it (wish me luck).





Peonies, like roses, have ancient pedigrees dating back to around 1000 BC.! Peonies have their 'roots' in two areas of the world. Common Peonies originated in southern Europe, all other types seem to originated in China. Including tree peonies. Tree type have woody stems that stay during the winter months, when all herbaceous peonies drop their long leafy stems and die back to the ground. The Chinese peonies have double blooms and are more fragrant than their european cousins. They produce colorful, showy blooms in late spring to early summer. There is a wide range of colors to choose from, including white, red, crimson, yellow, and rose. It is kind of hard to tell from the different pictures but mine is more of a purple red.

whewww! Did your get pooped out on peony 101??
How about our list for this weeks Winning Wednesday Wizards!! 

I believe we have a few new Wizards to add to the growing list!!
So if you are a new Wednesday Wizard be sure to grab the special Wednesday Wizard badge (in the side bar, yea over there) to proudly display on your blog, home or where ever you seem fitting ;)

This week Wizards are :

Marilyn from A Lot of Loves
Uyen of Ramble Road Ramblings
Beth from Musing Mainiac
Evan's Mom of A Little boys Blog
Henrietta of A Hen's Nest

Yippee!! I am so proud of all of you! Just so you know... if I wasn't picking out the clues I'd have a hard time with 98% of these! No kidding!


Here is the evidence below you will need to figure out next weeks solution!




Mr. Linky is below for anyone who plays along on all those fun mid-week memes. So leave your links and visit a few. And don't forget to leave your guesses for next weeks puzzler in your comments below!!
Open up eyes and look around, you never know what you will find and what ginormus knowledge you will have to pass on to ... well whoever you tell it too! 



 until next time!!!


47 comments:

Au and Target said...

I loved Hercules, Zeus and Clashing of all those Titans! Great fun.

I think that pic is of rocks; those lava types?

Jenny said...

Oh, this was fun! I love photographing peonies and it was really fun to learn more about them. Thank you!

Ash said...

that's one BIG peonie O_O

Katie said...

not a clue in the world!

Dreamer said...

Lovely flowers and such an informative post too. Thanks :)

And Miles To Go... said...

beautiful red flowers!

Uyen said...

thank you so much for the Wednesday Wizard badge! This is so much fun! For this week's picture, I am guessing that it's some old log or stump?

Sukhmandir Kaur said...

Thanks for all the info on Peonies, don't think I've had much opportunity to to see them close up.
I love this weeks photograph. It's a great capture reminds me of a giant wood fungus

Life Ramblings said...

lovely blooms. Happy WW!

alicia said...

Peonies are gorgeous, especially up close. Happy WW!

Eve said...

beautiful post and such great pics!!

Will said...

I grow lots of Peonies. They are pretty easy as long as you remember to stake them. Also the flowers do not like rain.

Yes Jack did get to go in the canoe. He is an "on" the water dog, not and "in" the water dog. He can swim just fine, but would rather be paddled around high and dry. More of a "captain" type, you know.

Thanks for the visit and Happy WW!

Cheeseboy said...

We have a line of about 12 peonies in our yard just like this. We get so many great compliments on them during the 4 days they seem to bloom.

scrapchick said...

Pretty flower! Good tip on the moving them - don't, lol. TFS! Happy WW!

GrammyMouseTails said...

Ah, yes! Thanks Will. I did forget that peonies do need staking. Or they will be laying on the ground not looking pretty and perky. I stake them as soon as I plant them, I also have a ring around the tree peony as well. Those flowers can get heavy, esp after it rains!
Faythe :)

Liza said...

Gorgeous flowers!

Maria @ LSS said...

Pretty flowers!

Happy WW.

Cafe au lait said...

Beautiful pictures.

Happy WW.

I played too. Mine are here and here.

Simply Delicious said...

Love the flowers!

Night Owl Mama said...

your always so clever thanks for the tid bits on the Flower. It's true you learn something new every day. Glad I stopped by I hadn't learned anything today yet... Good night :D

steve from bethere2day said...

I really like the close ups

Happy ww!

jayayceeblog said...

Gorgeous peonies ... my mom has some beauties in her yard.

William K Wallace said...

That picture sure has me stumped as to what it is...I shall return next week to find out...

Dina @ 4 Lettre Words said...

Gorgeous...and interesting!

Nessa said...

They look just like roses. I don't know if Peonies can grow in Malaysia. It's really hot here :(

Julie @ Coupon Saving Family said...

Great Pictures... love the flowers!

dogsmom said...

A flower that wants to be left alone?
I might have some success with that!
I guess this week is a very close up view of fungus.

The fungus amonG us?

amandab said...

What gorgeous flowers, and please don't test me in the morning! It's getting late here and I don't know how much is going to stick! LOL

Thanks for stopping by, Happy WW!

Lisa from Life with Lisa said...

Beautiful. I love flower pictures.

The Shopping Mama said...

You're so creative!

I can't believe how big that flower is!

Susan @ Grandparents said...

The item in this week's pic looks sort of fuzzy, so I am going to guess some kind of root, something like the roots on rabbit-foot fern

Evan's Mom said...

That's one big peony! I've got no clue what this week puzzle is :(

Stacy (the Random Cool Chick) said...

Peonies! That's it! :) I used to have them, but hubby didn't know what they were and pulled them all out. I'll have to get more and replant! :) I'm clueless on this week - looks like some sort of rock wall.

WW: Why I Like Kids

Typical Suburban Family said...

Great photos!

OneDay said...

I love peonies, especially white ones, but your red one are beautiful! Happy WW and thank you for the linky!

Kristi {at} Live and Love...Out Loud said...

I love peonies! They're so beautiful. I had no idea that they had a medicinal purpose at one time or another. As for the other photo, well...I'm stumped. But I'll be back next week to find out what it is!
Thanks for stopping by Grammy! Have a great day.

Kristi, Live and Love...Out Loud
@TweetingMama

Dee said...

And they're SOOOO pretty!

Beth Larrabee said...

Is it one of those tree mushroom thingies?

Staci said...

Great photos and facts! Is the new one some sort of rock or cacti?

Henrietta said...

I just love peonies! They are one of my very favorite flowers, we always had big bushes of them along the from ditch when I was growing up. I grew a gorgeous white peony bush from a seedling and planted it at my Dad's grave, it has turned into a gorgeous and HUGE bush just for him :)

This week's looks to me like hmmm.... maybe some kind of rock? A Mountain, or something like that, not sure!!

Kas said...

Beautiful flowers! Beautiful shots!
Happy WW!
Kas

Nicole said...

Beautiful pics. My guess for next week is a close up of some sort of rock formation.

Bobbie said...

I have no guess, but I wanted to say, awesome Peony!! It's HUGE!

One Mom said...

Great pics! Thanks for stopping by. I'm a new follower now!

Erin @themombuzz said...

Your peonies are HUGE!

Penelope is the new mom of a happy and sweet baby boy. She loves to offer great information and product reviews for other parents while sharing tidbits about her little man as he grows up. said...

I'm a pharmacist, so I actually studied for a bit different plants and herbs and how to use them medicinally...so color me dumb because I remember NONE of it now.

troutbirder said...

They are gorgeous medical application or not. I love my beautiful fern leafed one when we move. Rather expensive to replace I found out. Oh well....