Tuesday, November 09, 2010

Fishy, fishy in the brook...


Take a nibble on my hook!
Oh wait! 
Scratch that, not fishing for supper here am I???

Oh my wise and wonderful Wizards, I am so happy you have such active imaginations and are using them to full capacity! We had some great conjectures regarding on what last weeks fuzzy (some called it) mystery was. And because some of you had actually guessed 2 different things you were twice as right! As my clue had a small piece of another critter in the face of the main clue. The answer to last weeks enigma was a Koi!
Here is a slightly larger version of the clue...





the arrow is pointing to the face of the Koi, the photo was turned up-side down, with just a part of the goldfish tail in view. Here is the complete picture:




Can you find the face of the selected Koi above?

Here is the list of the Wednesday Wizards that guessed either Koi or goldfish...

Larry over at CakeBlast! He wrote both answers!!
  she had both answers as well!  

You all now can grab the coveted Wednesday Wizard badge over there in the left side side, to proudly display your wonderful knowledge of all things, well at least all things here at GrammyMouseTails  ☺ !


What do we know of these fishys called Koi? Well first off Koi and goldfish are two separate species. Goldfish were developed in China more than a thousand years ago by selectively breeding Prussian carp for color mutations. During the Song Dynasty (960 – 1279), yellow, orange, white and red-and-white colorations had been developed. Goldfish and Prussian carp are now considered different species. 
Goldfish were introduced to Japan in the 16th century and to Europe in the 17th century.Koi on the other hand, were developed from common carp in Japan in the 1820s. Koi are domesticated common carp that are culled for color, they are not a different species and will revert to the original coloration within a few generations if allowed to breed freely.



 The word 'koi' comes from Japanese, simply meaning "carp." The Japanese name means "Carp like Beautiful textile." It includes both the dull grey fish and the brightly colored varieties. What are known as 'koi' in English are referred to more specifically as 'nishikigoi' in Japan (literally meaning 'brocaded carp'). In Japanese, 'koi' is a homophone for another word that means 'affection' or 'love'; koi are therefore symbols of love and friendship in Japan. An example of this is given in a short story by Mukoda Kuniko, "Koi-san". Koi tattoos have also become a popular trend in North America.

   Many facts found and some linked to Wikipedia.


Today Koi are bred in every country and considered to be the most popular fresh-water ornamental pond fish and are often referred to as being "living jewels" or "swimming flowers".



 Koi are actually little socialites ( they get along well with goldfish and other pond fish that are not aggressive or to small that the Koi think they are a snack) and can recognize their owner (or at least the person who feeds them) and will gather around the feeding area even before the food is dropped into the water. They can be trained to take food from one's hand. You can take full advantage of this by checking them out for parasites or signs of disease whenever you feed them. Give them food that floats to the surface of the water to get an even better look at them while they feed. Koi are an omnivorous fish and will often eat a wide variety of foods, including peas, lettuce, and watermelon. Special Koi pellets and even "koi cookies" are nutritionally balanced and also made to float as to encourage them to come to the surface. Once temperatures drop and winter arrives Koi digestive systems slows to a halt and they eat if even a nibble of algae from the bottom of the pond until spring warms up the pond again.  
  
The Koi you have been enjoying are from my BFFs yard and have a beautiful habitat created for them by her DH. They are part of the "park" we visit when we need to find a bit more peace than in our own yard ☺! 



 Koi's bright colors put them at a severe disadvantage against predators; a white-skinned Kohaku is a visual dinner bell against the dark green of a pond. Herons, kingfishers, raccoons, cats, foxes, badgers and hedgehogs are all capable of emptying a pond of its fish. A well-designed outdoor pond will have areas too deep for herons to stand in, overhangs high enough above the water that mammals can't reach in, and shade trees overhead to block the view of aerial passers-by. It may prove necessary to string nets or wires above the surface. A pond usually includes a pump and filtration system to keep the water clear. As you can see in the photo above, Richard has seen to the everything for his Koi safety and so they can continue to sit and enjoy them and listen to the peaceful sounds of nature and water.


One last fun fact:
  Koi can blush! Koi show stress by blushing red in their fins and on their bodies. When they are handled in a net you can see the red in their fins, between the spines. Also when they are in a stressful environment, such as bad water, they will often show a red blush on their bodies under the scales. Sometimes they almost look like they have varicose veins.

If you see this they are trying to tell you something is causing them stress. Take measures to relieve the stress or you will start to lose Koi.
This is similar to when we, humans blush from embarrassment or stress.

Before I leave you with next weeks puzzler I want to thank you again for visiting, commenting and playing along each week. Mr. Linky will be below as always for those who like to follow the mid-week memes (Wordless/ Wordful Wednesdays, Watery Wednesday ) and visit others to see what great things wait out there in the internet world.

Time to put on those creative thinking hats...
This weeks clue:



Until next time,
Keep your eyes open
and your mind alert!


43 comments:

  1. My first thought was pony but I don't see a mane Then I immediately thought goat, but the nostrils make me think more of a calf, only problem with these theories is that I do not see an eye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. beautiful Kois!

    uhmm im thinking its a goat too :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My guess is a goat. I am getting kinda good at this, ok maybe not but I have got the last 2 correct.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love koi fish! As for this week's photo? My guess is a goat. Final answer...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I didn't know koi could blush. That's a very interesting factoid.

    My guess for this week is a goat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was going to say a horse but now I'm not so sure. I think it might be a pig.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a pretty pond! And guessing a goat! Happy WW!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My Aunt used to raise Koi fishes. They were so beautiful but so hard to take care of! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just adore Koi fish. I am going to have to say Goat on this one that's my first guess lol.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like Koi fish, Watching them swim around. Great photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Fishy fishy in a brook mama catch em...um never mine... I don't fish..

    Great pic's

    ReplyDelete
  12. Swimming flowers - I like that! I'm not awake enough to wager a guess on this week's! I also want to thank you for stopping by my blog and commenting. I, too, struggle a bit with the association of a "regular" sugary cupcake with diabetes causes but the worldwide diabetes day is intentionally making a portion of its message about the critical role of exercise in making it possible for diabetics to enjoy foods that would otherwise be forbidden. They also have sold like hotcakes to the non diabetic population and raised $$ - $1,000 was raised at Florida State University this week just based on the cupcakes. So, I'm not an expert and not advocating a big position, just a girl riding a bike and trying to feed blue cupcakes to concrete lions!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Interesting Koi fish... My gess is for a cow !
    Happy WW
    Marta ;O)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love koi - it's crazy how big they get! We have regular goldfish in our pond.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Koi are pretty! I think that picture is a calf. But I am not sure.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Such wonderful clarity your photos have.

    Here is My Watery Photos Post Do stop by when given a chance. Have a great Wednesday!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You friend's back yard is lovely. For this week's puzzle. . . you got my goat! A sleepy goat?

    ReplyDelete
  18. That's a goat :)

    Sorry about the double link up. I forgot to change to my new WW post before clicking submit

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful Koi. One night 3 raccoons did a drive-by on our pond and snatched ours. You know, we're like-minded this week 'cause I wrote about fish, too.

    Looks like a goat but I'm thinking it could be a donkey!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I wasn't even close last week! LOL

    This week's picture looks like some kind of animal with a horn. I'll go with a goat. Or maybe a unicorn? ;-)

    Thanks for linking up and thanks for the linky! Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I am going with my first thought. Goat.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Not only will I say "GOAT!" I posted a picture of one myself.
    And to the poster who guessed cow - she needs to spend more time in the country. (or watch RFD tv)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Not only will I say "GOAT!" I posted a picture of one myself.
    And to the poster who guessed cow - she needs to spend more time in the country. (or watch RFD tv)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm going with goat! Love the koi pics.

    Happy WW!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Yippee! I win again!

    I'm going to say goat. Or cow. No, goat. Thanks for these games!

    ReplyDelete
  26. First, woohoo I won and am flying your badge proudly on my blog.

    Okay for this weeks addition. I was born and raised on a farm. I knows me a calf when I see one. Got that eye shut, but that's a calf.

    Have a terrific day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. JDaniel would love to watch these fish for hours.

    ReplyDelete
  28. i love koi!!!
    (So does my son! lol)
    As for this week:
    I was thinking a dairy cow...
    but now, I am going with Goat

    ReplyDelete
  29. Feeling very observant for correctly guessing goldfish from last week, going with the consensus this week. MehMehMeh....

    ReplyDelete
  30. You know I've already put in my answer, but the more I think about this the more I think this may be a goat. We didn't have any goats on the farm. This is a good one this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. I think it's a calf.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thanks so much for stopping by and commenting! Is it a goat? A baby goat?

    ReplyDelete
  33. Enjoyed the photos and information about the koi. Answered so many questions I'd never had the time to research!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Koi are very popular here. I like their fat bodies. That looks like a goat to me!

    ReplyDelete
  35. What a beautiful pond. I love Koi fish. Our Koi aren't that large yet.
    Hope you have a fabulous day and thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete
  36. deffo a cute goat! :)

    we're in HK so we're faster to post on Wordless Weds. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  37. I am thinking a blind cow! Just an idea....

    ReplyDelete
  38. I'm going to guess that is a calf.

    ReplyDelete
  39. The Koi are beautiful -- I love watching them, but they[re hard to "catch" in photos -- yours are great.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Looks like a GOAT to me

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping and reading today.
Comments are always welcome :)