Monday, December 13, 2010

Snowflakes and blizzards



A mighty storm swooped down across the mid-west, I am sure many of you have heard, felt or seen it in your area. 
Winter has arrived and blew her frosty breath for attention. 

I decided to see what my little Sony Cyber-shot point and shoot could do at night, during a brief lull around midnight. You all get to see how it and I did with no particular settings.
I have mentioned before, I play with pictures, I tend to point fast and snap. I know for the good photos I need to slow down and learn to use some of the settings ( the few this little purse size camera has). When I visit your blogs I am always hoping to learn some things.

I thought these first two gave me the feeling of a spooky night, that it was, you never know what you find after a blizzard in my yard...

 
this would be the railroad tie wall that holds up the hill behind our house.
the snow is up to the top of the tallest RR tie about 4 feet tall.


looking the opposite direction towards the direction out, towards the road.
only light source was from a small porch light.

I guess I was steadier for this one

I believe the blue spots are wet snowflakes on my lens. 

Winds blew all night and temperatures dropped, bring the deadly sub-zero wind chills with it for morning, and continued through the day.

 what a difference daylight makes!
Here was just one of the surprises from the wet and heavy snow. 
 up on the house top garage roof, snowflakes fall...

So we still wait to remove snow and frozen limbs and sticks ( it is always a game of pick up sticks, here!) as the wind makes it to cold to attempt going outside, unless you are a very furry abominable snowman. We can wait until tomorrow and see what that day brings. Hubby will see if the lawn tractor with snow-thrower attachment starts. It better, we just had to put a new battery in the car, ughh.
Mr. Linky is below so I, and others can come visit you. 
I am also linked to A Beautiful Mess, A Hobo Mama and  Live and Love Outloud for more Wordful or Wordless Wednesdays to enjoy. 


Snowflakes, blizzards, wind or just rain...
How did you survive the storm?
Do you  have any photo pointers for me?
Until next time...

remember,
I love your comments






Oh geezers! Now you all can see how screwy this weather and the bad cold I have been battling has done to my head... 
I posted an early Wednesday! LOL!


49 comments:

  1. Oh my, y'all be safe, comfy and warm please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brrrr, that looks soooo cold! Keep warm. that sort of cold looks dangerous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have heard about the mid-west weather and I can't imagine... while in Cali we're having an 80 degree warm day. Do be careful on the ice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, that does look very cold! It got down to about 36 here last night; we're not used to that here in south Florida!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sheesh! I remember those days...that's why I live in Vegas now! Brrrrrr!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't remember the last time it snowed here. I think it was in the 70s and it didn't last very long. We had an awful storm a couple years ago. Was without the Internet for one week.

    I love your shots. Daylight does make a big difference indeed.

    Have a terrific day. :)

    Wordless Wednesday

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow, that's a lot of snow! It's cold here in Baltimore. Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I want snow! Plenty cold, but no snow.
    Yet.

    ReplyDelete
  9. that must have been terribly cold. we don't have snow in our country but wish we have mild ones to enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. That does look cold, but so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Funnily enough, it's so cold here in Orlando you'd THINK it was about to snow like that! :)

    Happy WW! Hope to see you over at my place! :)
    http://goobergrapemonkeyman.blogspot.com/2010/12/wordless-wednesday-wlinky-watch-it.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. pass some over here :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I hope you are staying warm and safe. The snow and cold weather is awful. I for one can not wait till summer is here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brrrrrr!!! Looks COLD but also very beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Time to make snowmen. Lots and lots of snowmen.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Very cool and spooky pictures, but midnight?

    ReplyDelete
  17. how did we survive the cold? We Floridians pulled out our fur coats from storage! hahaha...I love seeing all the snow shots...something we don't see much of here. Stay warm and safe!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like the movement in the first couple it adds interest! And on another note I FREAKING HATE WINTER!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Eww! I don't like all the snow. We got 11" here and I will be SO glad when winter is OVER!

    ReplyDelete
  20. pretty stuff! But you can keep it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  21. The thick heavy stuff is always the prettiest... just the worst to shovel. I'm not looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Looks so cold!

    Have a terrific Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Beautiful snow scenes!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Whao..that's really a lot of snow.. wouldn't mine if you could send some over it's really hot there few days here in Singapore.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ethereal and exquisite, looks like a snow flurry faery wonderland.

    ReplyDelete
  26. WOW that's a bit scary!

    ReplyDelete
  27. You did just fine with your little point and shoot. I would try to keep the lens dry, though! I build little hoods out of resealable plastic bags, and I always keep one in my camera bag so I can keep my camera dry if the weather changes.

    But we don't get snow like you do, even though I'm in Colorado! This storm totally passed us over, although it did get the mountains up north...

    Say warm!

    Oh, nice write-up on Favre, too.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Ohhh, we are getting similar weather here too . . . enjoyed seeing yours!

    Enjoying WW!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Brrrrrrrrrrrrr ANd I thought we got snow..

    Holy wow

    ReplyDelete
  30. I love your photos and it's very cold there, here in London it's been -6 recently and we thought that was cold LOL

    Happy WW! and thank you for the link up :-)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Dear Grammy

    PLEASE stay safe and warm! That third shot looked like the abominable snow tree monster was coming at ya!

    Looks like you'll be having a white Christmas!

    Hugs
    Ramona
    http://create-with-joy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  32. Goodness, that's a whole lot of snow!

    Stay warm and safe.

    ReplyDelete
  33. That looks awful.The snow you had was bad enough. But when you have that cold behind it look out. Very dangerous.
    Take care and be very careful.

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hi,

    I only like snow in pictures. Im so dreading this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  35. That's so much fun for the kids, but not so much for us. I'm going to get some snow tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Beautiful photos! I wish we had snow every once in a while here in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Grammy, I hope you have some night strong young man to come help haul that broken branch off your shed! We're suffering with wet heavy snow up here in Canada too... But isn't it pretty? My daughter loves this time of year...

    ReplyDelete
  38. Spooky indeed . . .

    Thanks for hosting this WW linky . . . come by and link up to mine too . . . http://myfloridaparadise.blogspot.com/2010/12/ginas-wordless-wednesday-1-mirage.html

    Have a wonderful day . . . Gina

    ReplyDelete
  39. GORGEOUS pics. . .crazy how snow can be so dangerous and destructive yet so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Wow those are BEAUTIFUL Faythe! Stay warm!
    Kas

    ReplyDelete
  41. I'm trying decide if I would rather have the torrential downpours or a huge dump of snow...

    Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
  42. One word for you - WOOL! haha
    Thanks for the linky! See you next week :)

    ReplyDelete
  43. Wow, those are beautiful shots. And you had quite the snowfall (and tree-fall!). I love seeing branches covered in snow like that — even if it is a bit dangerous for them. And you're right that those first ones are nicely spooky. I like the snowflakes in front of the lens — lends a nice touch.

    Thanks for linking up again! Visiting from Hobo Mama and Natural Parents Network!

    ReplyDelete
  44. You did a great job with those night photos. Night photos are so hard to do. I think yours have an air of creepiness. I'd be afraid to go out there, for sure!
    Oh and by the way, thanks for stopping by and linking up with me. :) Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  45. Thanks for linking up on my WW linky :)

    Happy Holidays to you and your family . . . Gina

    http://myfloridaparadise.blogspot.com
    http://labelladiva.blogspot.com
    . . . and many more blogs!

    ReplyDelete
  46. Brrr... I'm just so glad we are in Summer here in Tasmania

    ReplyDelete
  47. I love, love, love the second to last photo. Looks like quite a storm!

    ReplyDelete
  48. Those are some GREAT shots!!!!
    We got a bit of snow here in NYC as well - can't wait til its all melted!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping and reading today.
Comments are always welcome :)