Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Green drinking on St. Paddy's Day


Bartender, pour me a nice cold green one!



On St. Patrick's Day, some revelers will raise a pint of stout and wish their companions "Slainté!"—the Irish word, pronounced SLAN-cha, for "health."

This toast may brim with scientific truth. 
At a meeting of the American Heart Association in Orlando, Florida, back in 2003, researchers reported that Guinness may be as effective as daily aspirin in reducing the blood clots that cause heart attacks. (The benefit derives from antioxidants, which the researchers said reduce cholesterol deposits on arterial walls. The compounds are found in dark Irish stouts but not their paler cousins.)
  Of course drunk within reasonable limits.


 
If you want a pint of green beer, you could head to the local pub or make it at home. It is best to start with a light colored beer. It will better absorb the color. Once the beer has been poured into a chilled beer glass/stein, all you have to do is add a few drops of green food coloring and presto, you have green beer!

Have a safe, green holiday, and, no matter what your preferred pint, please drink responsibly. Lots of larger cities offer free bus service or AAA may offer free taxis. Call ahead and check for the local area you plan on going. You can also simply line up a designated driver/Leprechaun or hire a taxi. 

Enjoy your St. Paddy's celebrations how ever you do 
  and hoping this brings a wish your way-- 
  Good health, good luck, and happiness --
   For today and every day. 









 

6 comments:

  1. Good morning! Green is my favorite colour. I wish to have a green world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My doctor has me on an aspirin a day regimen. I do not think I could do the green beer a day treatment.

    Happy St Paddy's Day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a beer drinker, but that's in interesting health benefit from the dark beers. It's the getting them down that would be difficult for me.

    Have a terrific day and happy St. Patrick's day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So where's your instructions on how to make green chocolate? That's what I want to eat. I guess you should start with white chocolate. . .

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm not a fan of beer of any color. We always go to dinner at Chompies, a NY style deli for St. Pat's. They offer all the special corned beef and cabbage type meals and there's always some nutjob in a green wig eating there to stare at. =D

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't drink, but IF I DID, I would drink beer - - for health's sake.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping and reading today.
Comments are always welcome :)