Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Garden Shame







Dear garden,

I hope we are still on speaking terms.
I know I have been very neglectful of you and the surrounding yard, and it pains me to see as much as it must pain you to feel so disheveled. This neglect is not done on purpose but still shames me and makes me blue.


  I see you trying so valiantly to still poke and stick your heads out of the debris covered beds. Full of last years clutter of leaves, seed heads, sticks and stalks of lasts years blooms. What a mess!


  Though when you still accomplish this difficult task you still shine and glow with color and make me smile.


  It is like you understand my body is not ready to bend and dig to clean you up. I miss our dirty talk sessions and even cleaning and hauling last years messy glory to the compost or burn piles. You seem to understand. For that, I am thankful!



I even miss the battles we have when I reach around the more prickly plants and get a thorn or scratch from pulling away autumns past leftovers.


  I stop and admire what little surprises you managed to push through the mulch mess that was not meant to stay. It says to me that you are waiting for me to come play and enjoy. And I can't wait!! It is hard to be patient when I see seedlings and last years flower stalks tormenting me, as if they are sticking out their tongues in jest that they got the chance to stick around longer than normal.

  Dear garden, I will be back. I delight in what you struggle to show off, so it is not wasted energy. I see you! I pull up a little stray seedling or dandelion in my small jaunts from the car back to the house after physical therapy or doctor appointments. But soon we shall spend more time together getting dirty and then just looking pretty.

Thank you for living through my shame,
  bearing this cross with dignity.
Hopefully I will not have to turn in my gardening tools for lack of use!



Until next time...

Readers have you ever felt the need to apologize to your garden, home or family because you have limitations that feels like weighted chains holding you down?
It is hard and boring,
 but I have to keep reminding myself...
with time and physical therapy I am getting better!



36 comments:

  1. You'll get back to the garden when it's time. Right now it's all about you. As it should be.

    Have a terrific day Faythe. Big healing hug. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, you will be back to gardening! We don't have a garden at all so there is no hope for us! Purrs and hugs to you from all of us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Weeds - constant companions! You'll be at it before you know it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Take good care of yourself, Faythe - your garden will be waiting for you when you are feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We've had a lot of rain lately & our garden's getting prettty much the same way

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm sure you'll get your groove back in time :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. hang in there!! don't look at it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw! This is my first time to your blog, so I am not sure what happened, but I am sure that your garden will wait for you to feel better! Take care of yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I feel the same way. It will get there.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am so glad to read that you are willing to 'negotiate' or even contemplate negotiating gardens!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It's so hard to have to sit by and wath when you want to be out and doing, My daughter caring for her newborn is experiencing similar sentiments, but ha us around to help. Your garden looks like it's doing a pretty good job of coming back to life on it's own, perhaps it is enjoying the mulch of leftovers from last year as they ultimately break down to nutrients. Perhaps after all you have helpers of the invisible molecular variety working to beautify your garden, albeit at a slower rate then you'd like...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hang in there, you'll be back gardening before you know it! Sending good thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I wish I liked gardening. I'm sure yours understands that you still love it and will return as soon as you can. *healing sparkles*

    -:¦:- Featured Photo: Tree Door -:¦:-

    ReplyDelete
  14. mine very much needs some help right now too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't have time for my yard either. Something always has to give.

    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com/2012/04/atoz-meets-ww-wake-up.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. You shouldn't worry about your garden when you have more important things to do, like getting better!

    Besides, it looks like you're getting some nice flowers and bushes anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I never have time for my garden:(

    ReplyDelete
  18. I never have time for my garden:(

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hey, you get in tip top shape first before you start messing with your garden. It'll still be there when you're better. Guess what I'm going to try and grow my vegetable garden this year, AND I'm going to try and grow hostas where my rock garden use to be. Also, I haven't done a post on it yet, but we have a new porch and a new patio and I love it, but the most important part is I have six new BURNING BUSHES that I always wanted and if you have any tips for those I sure can use them. We're talking brown thumb most of the time, but some time I get lucky. I just watered them with miracle grow the other day. That's good right? hugs

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love getting my hands dirty in the garden. it's so relaxing. I'm sure you'll have yours in shape soon enough!! :)

    I'm a new follower. Hope if you have time and like my blog, you can follow back!! http://www.whatjeanlikes.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. Still looks beautiful to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. i'm sure you'll get back to gardening when you're in the pink again. best wishes.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It is torture for a true gardener to see an area that needs work. I understand that. But nature creates her own beauty. Relax and enjoy that until you are better!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your garden will blooms again..

    Visiting from Wordless Wednesday Party
    Witha @ withapinkie.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. Concentrate on feeling better, it looks as though your garden understands! Sending good thoughts!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I hear ya....

    Have a great rest of your Wednesday!
    POSH

    ReplyDelete
  27. These are still beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I wish I have a garden too. Have a great WW.

    My entry.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh Faythe, I'm so sorry that you haven't been able to get out there! I have been neglecting my garden as well and really need to clean up around the yard. I hope your therapy is going well!! Big hugs to yoU!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Don't overdo it. Get back to your garden when you can. For now, enjoy the rest. Yes, I do know how you feel when there isn't enough time in a day or week to do everything. Just remember when you can get back to gardening, you'll enjoy it that much more!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm sure your garden will get spruced up in due time. Just need some time to get your grove back.

    ReplyDelete
  32. The garden will still be there when you are ready...don't you dare push yourself. You're garden would not want you to do that.
    Hugs♥

    ReplyDelete
  33. i'm sure it will all turn out great

    ReplyDelete
  34. Can't your neighbours help out by donating a half hour here and a half hour there? Many hands make light work and all that, right?

    Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  35. Great letter to your garden Mom. You'll be out there in the matter of no time and feeling better too. I did my first gardening last weekend. Juile and I put in some plants in our vacant planters. I love you. Neil

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping and reading today.
Comments are always welcome :)