Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Rare "Golden" Hummingbird!





I went digging through my basement of photo folders to find a post for this Wordless/Wordful Wednesday. But first an update why...

My physical therapy is coming along, slow but sure. It is heading towards training me exercises to do at home to keep adding strength and mobility on my own. Insurance will only cover so much. I also have noticed a bit of trouble with my eyes. Blurry vision in both distance, reading and computer reading has been hard on me. I did get in to see my eye doctor and he ordered new lenses and did not see any internal problems (wheww!) I was having optical nerve problems before my big cervical/neck surgery last January. So that is good news. I just have to wait for the new glasses to come in and hopefully they do the trick. I brought out a few old pairs of glasses to switch to depending on what I was doing and after a bit none of them helped. But I feel relieved that he does not see any growing concerns.
So this is another reason why I have been a bit more quiet (or late) in replies and comments, as I have not been able to sit and read all my favorite blogs. Hopefully that will change soon! I love to read my comments and return them in favor. I miss all my friends here on my computer and in my blog!

So on too the mysterious "Golden Hummingbird" that appeared a few years ago on my patio door window feeder! Imagine my surprise to see that the traditional ruby throated that we only get on this side on the Mississippi but a very bright yellow gold! Well why keep you in suspense... I was able to sneak to the window and snap a few photographs. Again excuse the clarity, I have old double pane patio doors and a plastic storm window I am shooting through...

.......................................
all my photos can be clicked on to enlarge
Please ask if you would like a copy

Hey! Turn around, we don't want to see your butt!

That is better...
you are a strange looking hummingbird??

You have a short beak for a hummingbird...
Wait a minute! Your a Goldfinch.
Looking for a sweet drink I bet.

This is more like it.
Mr. Ruby throat scared off the nectar thief.

Was that exciting?!? Nah... more silly, I know. ((wink))




Have you ever found a surprise at yours or someone elses feeding station?

Until next time...

38 comments:

  1. Great photos, beautiful bird! Thanks for hosting the hop, have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to say...that doesn't look like a hummingbird to me, but then you let the cat out of the bag.

    I'm happy your physical therapy is coming along nicely. I am glad about your eyes too. I hope your glasses get here very, very soon.

    Have a terrific day Faythe. Big healing hugs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great hummingbird shots.

    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com/2012/06/wordless-wednesday-tv-watcher.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. So beautiful! Love hummingbirds!

    ReplyDelete
  5. get well, hope you feel better!

    great pics!

    http://mycharmedmom.com/2012/06/19/wordless-wednesday-lifes-travel/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful bird. Hope your eyesight gets better with the new glasses :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope your feeling better!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy to ear your coming along and hope new glasses solve those vision problems. I think it's also important for eyes to get adequate rest and time away from the computer screen. I was thinking that's a pretty fat humming bird wiwth a very short beak. Humming birds in our neighborhood seem to like sitting on fences, maybe because we don't have feeders and they have a long way to fly between houses to check out what's blooming.

    ReplyDelete
  9. the hummingbird is gorgeous for sure. hope your eyes get better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've only seen a hummingbird once in my life. They amaze me :)

    Paula
    lifeasweknowitbypaula.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I sure am glad you are making progress! Hey, you had me going with the gold hummer thing. Ours are green so I figured they just weren't ripe yet!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Faythe,
    Thanks for the visit! I've really enjoyed the series.

    I love hummingbirds. They'll so adorable, and such a fantastic bird! I love the gold in the one in the photos.
    Take care of your back, my friend!
    Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful Goldfinch! Thanks for sharing and for the linky.

    Danielle @ Royalegacy

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hopefully the home physical therapy will continue to help you get better. And hopefully the new glasses will help, too. Stay strong, Faythe!

    ReplyDelete
  15. How pretty! They looks so neat fluttering about!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow! very cool shot and what a handsome bird.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Good capture

    Hope you carry on doing well with your physical therapy

    Have a great WW!, thanks for stopping by and linking up ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love these beautiful pics and birds!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for linking up on W/W!
    Carolyn
    Cookin’ for my Captain

    ReplyDelete
  20. Totally love along with your captions. hehe Hey, how are you my friend? I hope your all healed by now or you're still going through therapy. Hope you're well on the road to recovery. Me I'm looking for a doctor NOT a practicing physician. Those guys can go practice on DUMMIES, AND I AIN'T NO DUMMY (anymore).

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful photos! I don't think I've seen any goldfinches in my area before. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. They are beautiful photos! Great choices to share! :)

    I'm glad your physical therapy is progressing. Also, great news from the eye doctor!

    Happy Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love, love, birds. No hummingbirds in our yard but plenty of yellow finch. Love your commentary!

    ReplyDelete
  24. A fun mystery visitor! Beautiful shots!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ha, cute story! He's a lovely bird, even if he's confused about his race. ;D

    -:¦:- Featured Photo: White Azaleas -:¦:-

    ReplyDelete
  26. love the photos. I didn't know they were rare. I haven't seen hummingbirds in so long. I need to get some plants that will bring them around. Happy WW!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Glad to hear you are recovering. I know how it feels when it's hard to focus on something without the proper eyewear. Looks like your feeder is attracting more than hummingbirds. I recently put one out in my backyard, but it hasn't seen much activity. I think I need to put out an "open for business" sign.

    ReplyDelete
  28. You really had me going and excited about a Golden Hummingbird. Still I love all the finches we have. Their songs really fill the air this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I hope your eye, well that you just need new glasses. I thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Goldfinches are among my favorite birds, although down South we only get them in their duller winter attire. Sometimes we get glimpses of their brighter coats just before they head North.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Happy Fourth! Glad to hear your therapy is coming along! What's this about your eyes now??? You can stop that right there honey you got enough probs. You don't need anymore. Now let's go stuff our face and watch the fireworks on TV - IT'S TOO DAM HOT OUT THERE!!!! LOL HUGZZZZZZZZ I'M A NEW GREAT AUNTIE! WOO HOO! MISS YOU HUGZZZZ!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Okay now where the heck are ya??? How come you're always out shoppin' or playing around or... hey wait you sick again???? Now whatza matta U??? Just kiddin'! Where you at girlfriend? Did you not get better from the last time??? That would be awful. I haven't heard from you though!!! Missin' you! HOpe you're okay! hugzzzzzzzzzzzz

    ReplyDelete
  33. Hope all is well. Just wanted you to know I check every week!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping and reading today.
Comments are always welcome :)