Tuesday, July 23, 2013

I found a dragon on my doorstep!



  On one of the nicer semi-sunny days last month I decided to take a walk in my yard. Imagine my surprise to find right outside my door waiting for me a dragon!

I hurriedly grabbed my camera hoping to capture a photograph or two before I got consumed!! Luckily I escaped without harm to myself nor the dragon.
I share my photographic evidence below, scroll down if you dare...





. . . . . . .  . . . . . . . .  . . . .  . . . . . . . . . .  . .  . . . . . . . .



juvenile common whitetail
click on any of my images to enlarge,
please ask if you would like a copy


   Is he not magnificent!
He actually stuck around long enough for a few shots.
I have never seen a dragonfly like this before, yet sitting still enough to catch it in a photograph. The little research I was able to dig up makes me believe this to be a Plathemis lydia or common Whitetail skimmer. The reason I think it is a juvenile male is that it has the black spots on the wings normally found on a male, and a youngster as it has not yet hardened into its normally white abdomen. A female has a brownish body with no markings found its hard body, plus different wing markings. 
If some dragon master knows more please leave it in a reply, I'd love to know more.

Here is a few more ...


young male common whitetail skimmer


Face forward! Now you can stare into his huge eyes. 


dragonfly from straight above


After I left to leave him alone to bask in the sunshine he must of grown strong enough to fly away, as he was gone when I returned.

I have pursued dragonflies around my yard for several years and never have been able to "catch" one. I was happy to enjoy this one for the short time we shared.

Have you ever found a dragon outside your door?




Until next time,
I await your comments, 
please link up your posts this week for others to come visit, too!

25 comments:

  1. That is quite the critter! I have never seen anything like that before!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very pretty dragon....fly! Glad he didn't get you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. HE's awesome looking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. that's a beautiful dragonfly!

    Ai @ Sakura Haruka

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've found many a dragonfly outside my backdoor and other places too. They are indeed beautiful.

    Have a fabulous day. Big hugs. ☺

    ReplyDelete
  6. We found one inside our home of all places considering I've never even seen one before in all the years we have been here. I managed to shoo it out the window to the blue yonder.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great opportunity! So unique looking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice zebra striped wings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those bugs are so pretty! I love watching them fly. My parents had many when my Dad had a pond in his yard.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Never seen such a beautiful dragonfly!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dragonflies are common around water in natural areas I think, but I don't think I've ever seen one in the city. And I don't think I've ever seen one like yours. They are neat creatures.

    ReplyDelete
  12. We rarely have dragon flies in our yard, and we absolutely have never seen one like that. Mom says she hasn't either. Purrs and hugs, Lily Olivia, Mauricio, Misty May, Giulietta, Fiona, Astrid, Lisbeth and Calista Jo

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've never seen a dragonfly quite like that! Very unique!

    Happy WW, Faythe!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I agree it is beautiful, I have never seen one so close up and in detail before ;-)

    Have a dragontastic week ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a lovely dragonfly - you were lucky to catch it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have seen dragon flies but that one is quite huge!

    ReplyDelete
  17. that's a beautiful dragonfly!
    I see first time

    My entry is here.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have never seen a dragon fly up that close before. Totally cool mama's. How did you ever happen to get a photo like that soooooooooo up close. Weird! Check your mail honey I need to ask you something ;)

    ReplyDelete
  19. He is magnificent! How patient of him to wait for you to get your camera. Dragonflies always flutter away before I can digitally capture them.

    ♥ aquariann
    Featured Photo: Delaware State Fair Dance Mob

    ReplyDelete
  20. never seen that color of dragonfly before, beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  21. As long as it doesn't sting you.

    http://joycelansky.blogspot.com/2013/07/wordless-wednesday-fine-print.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. What a pretty dragon fly.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Yikes, I'm glad we don't get those in the UK BOL xx00xx

    Mollie and Alfie

    ReplyDelete
  24. For a fleeting moment I thought that one of my resident Dragons had escaped but no, it is a Dragonfly and a very handsome one I might add :)

    I have not seen one like this either and your research has paid off in the sense that we have all learnt something useful :)

    Hey Faythe you're a nifty photographer my dear friend :)

    Andro xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping and reading today.
Comments are always welcome :)