Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Autumns first wild flowers


  Last week I showed you some of this summers last flowers around my yard.
This week I will show you some of the last flowers to appear in my yard, always arriving at the start of autumn. Sometimes even before the first of fallen colored leaves.

Many are some sort of asters, and I am not sure what wild family the yellow ones even belong too. If you can identify any of these, please share below in a comment. I am eager to know!

Now on with the show...

these were some of the first of these yellow beauties, 
do you know what they are called?


here are some more show cased on their long, normally upright stem.
blossoms last a few days then fade to the orange seen here.


purple (large for-front) and white,
 I believe part of the aster family, a large genus


more of the tall purple asters in various stages of blooming.
You can see on most of these photos that insects and bees of all types were busy gathering nectar from all of these beautiful wild flowers.


a large bunch of wild white asters,
I believe this type is called Heather asters.
I don't know how sharp the enlargement (click on any photo) will be,
 but they are loaded with insects.


I found these snap dragon type purple blooms growing on the Walworth County Fair Grounds, when we went for the annual Labor Day fair. 
Can you see the rear end of the bumble bee in one of the flowers, 
they were swarming all over this patch, so I did not get to close.


Most of any flowers are still blooming in my yard except for a few left in potted baskets that I bought of annuals. This year was the longest season for my baskets. They are usually fried and need replacement (if I choose) by early July. But with just shy of 2 weeks of hot normal summer heat, for my part of south east Wisconsin, and mostly wet, cool damp days my flower baskets flourished nicely and still are producing even as the nights temperatures drop close to freezing! An enjoyment for me for sure!

How did your gardens grow this year. If you are just starting your growing season where you live, do you plant flowers, veggies or both?





until next time...

I look forward to seeing what you
 have posted this week!



17 comments:

  1. Those are all so very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely blooms all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I believe those yellow ones are called flowers. Flowerus Yellowus. I might be wrong, though.

    Potted geraniums are still going strong here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We're just starting to see leaves turn colors here. Some flowers are still here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have Snap Dragons out front and the bumble bees LOVE them!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How pretty!! Great captures, Faythe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. We have a few spots of color blooming here and there. Pruned the roses today, now we can actually see the wild flowers growing beneath them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What pretty flowers you have in your garden - most of ours are dead now.
    Luv Hannah and Lucy xx xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with the others these are pretty love the colours too ;-)

    Have a a bloomingtastic week and thanks for meandering by ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I did a quick search for your yellow flower because I like to solve mysteries, but came up empty. Beautiful images, though!

    ReplyDelete
  11. My flowers are mostly spent, should get some new annuals, love yours so colorful, theres nothing better than all the colors. Thanks you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  12. May I say that I loved the show. Beautiful.

    Have a terrific day filled with beautiful flowers Faythe. Big hugs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nahhhh Come on these are old pics right. You took these pictures recently??? You lucky dog I'm sooooo jealous while I sit here getting ready to put gloves on & type. It's so cold in my house right now. brrrrrrrrr HEAT HEAT MY KINGDOM FOR SOME HEAT!!!! heheheh

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow these are great, so colourful and probably sweet scented with a hint of delight :)

    A lovely posting Faythe :)

    Andro xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can't help with I.D….sorry. Just about everything from summer is still blooming here in SW VA. It is really crazy because my camellia that usually blooms in the fall is also blooming. Hardly any leaves have started to change. Usually by Hall-o-ween all the trees are bare. I don't think that will happen this year. Thanks for sharing the beauty of your area. Purrs and hugs, Lily Olivia, Mauricio, Misty May, Giulietta, Fiona, Astrid, Lisbeth and Calista Jo

    ReplyDelete
  16. These are all lovely flowers Faythe, and with such vibrant colours too :)

    Have a wonderful Wombat Day my sweet friend :)

    Andro xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping and reading today.
Comments are always welcome :)